Monday, October 18, 2010

I'll give you a hint,diamonds are on my christmas list!

“Everyone knows diamonds are hard and beautiful, but did you know a diamond could be the oldest material you might own? “The word “diamond” derived from the Greek word “adamo”, meaning to overcome or tame, and the word “adamas”, which was used by Greeks in reference to what was considered the hardest substance known to man. The two words combined, otherwise known as compounded, is a coinage.
Diamonds are beautiful, and because I really want a pair, I was curious about its origin. I learned that although diamonds are beautiful, the process of gathering them isn’t. Therefore, I wanted to know if this had any relationship with the origin of the word. Unfortunately, the harsh conditions of gathering this rock had nothing to do with the origin of the word. However, the structure of the rock was included when producing the word diamond. The rock is one of the strongest materials known to man, which is the definition of “adamas”, and the word “diamond” derived from the word “adamas”.
Did you know that, diamonds “were initially used for to engraving other gems like sapphire cameos, and for drilling holes in hard, stone beads. Romans believed that diamonds had the power to ward off evil and wore them as talismans. In cases like this, I wish we had access to a time machine. Not only would I have sophisticated jewelry, but I would have gotten  these diamonds basically for free, and free is always better.

2 comments:

  1. wow! i never really thought of the origin of "diamond" it's pretty interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dennise, I heard that a Diamond is a natural charcoal that takes a lot of centuries to became a diamond; it is true?

    ReplyDelete